Orlando Hung, MD, FRCPC
1276 South Park 10th Floor, North, Rm 275
Halifax, NS B3H 2Y9
- Airway management
- Clinical pharmacology
- Drug delivery systems
- Medical Director of Research - Department of Anesthesiology, Pain Management and Perioperative Medicine
- Staff anesthesiologist - QEII Health Sciences Centre, Halifax
Dr. Hung focuses on airway management, clinical pharmacology and drug delivery systems. Through collaborations with other clinicians and scientists at Dalhousie, Stanford, and the University of Toronto, Dr. Hung has developed and patented a number of innovative drug delivery systems and medical devices.
- Hung OR, Stewart RD: Lightwand Intubation: I. A new intubating device. Can J Anaesth 1995;42:820-5.
- Hung OR, Pytka S, Morris I, Murphy MF, Launcelott G, Stevens SC, MacKay W, Stewart RD: Clinical trial of a new lightwand (TrachlightTM) to intubate the trachea. Anesthesiology 1995;83(3):509-514.
- Hung OR, Whynot SC, Varvel JR, Shafer SL, Mezei M: Pharmacokinetics of inhaled liposome-encapsulated fentanyl. Anesthesiology 1995;83:277-284.
- Mulcaster J, Mills J, Hung OR, et al. Evaluation of proficiency of laryngoscopic intubation by novice intubators. Anesthesiology 2003;98(1):23-7.
- Szczesniak A, Kelly MEM, Whynot, S, Shek P, Hung OR. Ocular Hypotensive Effects of an Intratracheally Delivered Liposomal )9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Preparation in Rats. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2006 2:160-7.
Selected awards and honours
- Research Award in Anesthesia, Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society (1992, 1997, 2002)
- Teacher of the Year (1993), Dalhousie Faculty of Medicine
- Mentor of the Year, Department of Anesthesia, Pain Management & Perioperative Medicine
- Excellence in Teaching Award (2005), Professional Association of Residents in the Maritime Provinces
Selected memberships / Service and activity
- Member, Editorial Board, Canadian Journal of Anesthesia for the past 9 years
- Co-author of the textbook, Management of the Difficult and Failed Airway