Vishal Uppal, MBBS, FRCA
- Regional anesthesia
- nerve block
- paravertebral block
- brachial plexus blocks
- acute pain
- obstetric anesthesia
- patient care outcomes
Director, Regional Anesthesia Fellowship Program
- Fellowship, regional anesthesia (Dalhousie University)
- Fellowship, regional anesthesia (University of Western Ontario)
- Fellowship, obstetric anesthesia (NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde)
- Research fellowship, anesthesia (University of Glasgow)
- Resident, anesthesia (NHS Scotland)
- Diploma in anesthesia (University of Delhi)
- MBBS (Karnatak University)
Dr. Uppal’s primary research interests are in regional anesthesia, particularly needle type and placement in relation to effectiveness and patient safety. He recently published studies on the effect of beam steering on the visibility of the echogenic and non-echogenic needles and the effect of obesity on performance of brachial plexus block.
- Kalagara HK, Uppal V , McKinlay S, Macfarlane AJ, Anderson K (2015). Effect of body mass index on angle of needle insertion during ultrasound-guided lateral sagittal infraclavicular brachial plexus block. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia , 27(5), 375-379.
- Uppal V, Sondekoppam R V, Ganapathy S (2014). Effect of beam steering on the visibility of the echogenic and nonechogenic needles: a laboratory study. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, 2014(61), 909-15.
- Uppal V, Sondekoppam RV, Ganapathy S (2014). Permanent Diaphragm Paralysis after Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair: Interscalene Block Is Not the Only Factor. Anesthesiology, 120(4), 1054-1056.
- Sondekoppam RV, Uppal V, Ganapathy S (2014). Intravenous or perineural dexamethasone for interscalene brachial plexus block: the equivalence not yet proven. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 112(1), 175-176.
- Uppal V, Kearns R J, McGrady E M (2011). Evaluation of the M43B Lumbar puncture simulator-II as a training tool for identification of the epidural space and lumbar puncture. Anesthesia, 2011(66), 493-496.