Paul Hernandez, MDCM, FRCPC
Division head/chief, Professor
QEII - Halifax Infirmary Site
1796 Summer Street
Suite 4458 Halifax Infirmary
Halifax, NS B3H 3A7
- pulmonary rehabilitation
- respiratory physiology
- pulmonary hypertension
- interstitial lung disease
- clinical practice guidelines
- FRCPC (Respirology)
- FRCPC (Internal Medicine)
- MDCM (McGill University)
- BSc (Dalhousie University)
Dr. Hernandez is Head/Chief, Division of Respirology and Medical Director of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program and Medical Intermediate Care Unit (QEII Health Sciences Centre). He is a member of the Executive Committee and past president of the Canadian Thoracic Society, and past-chair of COPD Clinical Assembly (Canadian Thoracic Society) and of the Adult Respirology Examination Committee (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada).
Dr. Hernandez’ main clinical and research areas of interest are COPD, pulmonary rehabilitation and pulmonary hypertension. He is an accomplished clinical investigator who holds grant and industry funding.
- Noorduyn SG, Qian C, Johnston KM, Soliman M, Talukdar M, Walker BL, Hernandez P, Penz E. SABA use as an indicator for asthma exacerbation risk: an observational cohort study (SABINA Canada). ERJ Open Res 2022; 0:00140-2022. DOI:10.1183/23120541.00140-2022.
- Leung C, Bourbeau J, Sin DD, Aaron SD, FitzGerald JM, Maltais F, Marciniuk DD, O’Donnell D, Hernandez P, Chapman KR, Walker B, Road JD, Zheng L, Zou C, Hogg JC, Tan WC, On behalf of the CanCOLD Collaborative Research Group. The Prevalence of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and the Heterogeneity of Risk Factors in the Canadian Population: Results from the Canadian Obstructive Lung Disease (COLD) Study. Int J COPD 2021; 16:305–320.
- Bhutani M, Hernandez P, Bourbeau J, Dechman G, Penz E, Aceron R, Beauchamp M, Wald J, Stickland M, Olsen S-R, Goodridge D. Position statement from the Canadian Thoracic Society steering committee. Addressing therapeutic questions to help Canadian health care professionals optimize COPD management for their patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Can J Respir Crit Care Sleep Med 2020; 4(1):77-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/24745332.2020.1744712.
- Bourbeau J, Bhutani M, Hernandez P, Aaron SD, Balter M, Beauchesne MF, D’Urzo A, Goldstein R, Kaplan A, Maltais F, Sin DD, Marciniuk DD. Canadian Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline on pharmacotherapy in patients with COPD – 2019 update of evidence. Canadian J Respir Crit Care Sleep Med. 2019; 3(4):210-232.
- Peters U, Dechman G, Hernandez P, Bhatawadekar MSA, Ellsmere J, Maksym G. Improvement in upright and supine lung mechanics with bariatric surgery affects bronchodilator responsiveness and sleep quality. J Applied Physiol 2018; 125(4):1305-14.
Service & activity
- Executive Committee, Canadian Thoracic Society (2018–2023)
- Adult Respirology Examination Board, Royal College Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (2005–2023)
- Co-Chair, COPD Clinical Assembly, Canadian Thoracic Society (2011–2018)
- Canadian Respiratory Research Network, Canadian Lung Association (2013–2022)
- Co-Chair, Scientific Committee, Canadian Respiratory Conference (2016 and 2017)
- Chair, Respirology stream, Organizing Committee Atlantic Respirology and Critical Care Conference (2010–2015)
- Medical Advisory Board, Lung Association of Nova Scotia (2000–2015)
Selected awards & honours
- Canadian Thoracic Society, Dedicated Leadership and Service Award (2018)
- Department of Medicine, Excellence in Medical Education Award (2011)
- Department of Medicine, Faculty Excellence in Research Award (2004)