Paul Hernandez, MDCM, FRCPC
Division head/chief, Professor
QEII - Halifax Infirmary Site
1796 Summer Street
Suite 4458 Halifax Infirmary
Halifax, NS B3H 3A7
- pulmonary rehabilitation
- respiratory physiology
- pulmonary hypertension
- interstitial lung disease
- clinical practice guidelines
- FRCPC (Respirology)
- FRCPC (Internal Medicine)
- MDCM (McGill University)
- BSc (Dalhousie University)
Dr. Hernandez is Head/Chief, Division of Respirology and Medical Director of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program and Medical Intermediate Care Unit (QEII Health Sciences Centre). He is a member of the Executive Committee of the Canadian Thoracic Society, and past-chair of COPD Clinical Assembly (Canadian Thoracic Society) and of the Adult Respirology Examination Committee (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada).
Dr. Hernandez’ main clinical and research areas of interest are COPD, pulmonary rehabilitation, pulmonary hypertension and clinical practice guidelines. He is an accomplished clinical investigator who holds grant and industry funding.
- Peters U, Dechman G, Hernandez P, Bhatawadekar MSA, Ellsmere J, Maksym G. Improvement in upright and supine lung mechanics with bariatric surgery affects bronchodilator responsiveness and sleep quality. J Applied Physiol 2018; 125(4):1305-14.
- Tan WC, Bourbeau J, Aaron SD, Zhou G, Maltais F, Hernandez P, Fitzgerald JM, Marciniuk DD, Walker BL, Sin DD. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2017 classification and lung function decline in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018; 170(5):670-673.
- Bourbeau J, Bhutani M, Hernandez P, Marciniuk D, Aaron SD, Balter M, Beauchesne MF, D’Urzo A, Goldstein R, Kaplan A, Maltais F, O’Donnell D, Sin DD. CTS Position Statement: Pharmacotherapy in patients with COPD - An update. Can J Respir Crit Care Sleep Med 2017; 1(4):222-241.
- Camp PG, Hernandez P, Bourbeau J, Kirkham A, Debigare R, Stickland MK, Goodridge D, Marciniuk DD, Road JD, Bhutani M, Dechman G. Pulmonary rehabilitation in Canada: A report from the Canadian Thoracic Society COPD Clinical Assembly. Can Respir J 2015; 22:147-152.
- Saunders TJ, Dechman G, Hernandez P, Spence JC, Rhodes RE, McGannon K, Mundle S, Ferguson C, Bourbeau J, Maltais F, Marciniuk DD, Camp PC, Blanchard C. Distinct trajectories of physical activity among patients with COPD during and after pulmonary rehabilitation. COPD. 2015; 12(5):539-545. Posted online, 16 March 2015.
Service & activity
- Executive Committee, Canadian Thoracic Society (2018–)
- Adult Respirology Examination Board, Royal College Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (2005–2019)
- Co-Chair, COPD Clinical Assembly, Canadian Thoracic Society (2011–2018)
- Canadian Respiratory Research Network, Canadian Lung Association (2013–2018)
- Co-Chair, Scientific Committee, Canadian Respiratory Conference (2016 and 2017)
- Chair, Respirology stream, Organizing Committee Atlantic Respirology and Critical Care Conference (2010–2015)
- Medical Advisory Board, Lung Association of Nova Scotia (2000–2015)
Selected awards & honours
- Canadian Thoracic Society, Dedicated Leadership and Service Award (2018)
- Department of Medicine, Excellence in Medical Education Award (2011)
- Department of Medicine, Faculty Excellence in Research Award (2004)