News» Go to news main
Dalhousie climbs higher in 2023 Maclean’s University Rankings
Dalhousie has advanced into seventh place in Maclean’s ranking of Canada’s best Medical Doctoral universities — an improvement over its eighth place ranking last year.
The Maclean's University Rankings are the main Canada-exclusive university ranking. They've been an annual feature in the current affairs magazine since 1991.
One advantage of the national scope of the rankings is the ability for Maclean’s to recognize institutional differences in funding and program offerings. The 49 participating universities are segmented into three categories: Medical Doctoral, Comprehensive and Primarily Undergraduate.
Dalhousie’s competes in the Medical Doctoral category as one of the 15 Canadian universities that provide a broad range of PhD programs, focus on research depth and include medical schools.
The improvement to seventh place moves Dal into the top half of this competitive set. McGill University, University of Toronto and University of British Columbia placed in the top three spots in the category this year.
Within each category, Maclean’s ranks universities based on 12 performance indicators with varying weighting. This year, Dalhousie placed in the top five among its cohort for three indicators: third place for the percentage of total operating expenditures devoted to funding scholarships and bursaries, third place for student/faculty ratio and fourth place for the number of students who win national awards.
- Rooted in community: Dalhousie innovators celebrated for their impact in Nova Scotia and beyond at Discovery Awards
- Dalhousie researchers discover existing drug can disrupt coronavirus replication
- Dal Medicine’s alum of the year improves the lives of transplant patients worldwide
- Two new Canada Research Chairs announced, two renewed
- Second World War top gun reinvented himself as Dal‑trained doctor
- Dal researchers help Rwanda contain lethal virus outbreak threatening country’s economy
- Medical school curriculum refresh prepares students to meet ever‑changing healthcare needs
- Dalhousie climbs higher in 2023 Maclean’s University Rankings