Program Director's Awards
These awards recognize outstanding contributions of residency program directors who teach residents and fellows; develop, organize and administer training programs; develop innovative approaches to teaching, research, and evaluation; or serve as mentors and advocates to postgraduate medical trainees.
Up to 2 awards may be presented annually, and each winner will receive a certificate, his or her name on a commemorative plaque, and a financial prize which may be used to support a postgraduate medical education activity of the winner’s choosing (eg conference or course for the recipient, journal club for residents, etc). Winners will be notified by the end of May and will be recognized at the Annual Faculty Meeting of the Faculty of Medicine.
Criteria and Considerations
Nomination may be made in either or both of the following categories:
1. Innovations in Postgraduate Education (e.g. new course/curriculum development; development of new evaluation tools; develop new instructional methods/modules; restructuring of teaching/evaluation components; beginning competency-based teaching and assessment; etc.).
2. Leadership (e.g. acknowledgement of continuous or long-term excellence in instruction, promotion of collegiality, role modeling, local and national leadership roles).
Candidates will be assessed by criteria outlined by Lieff et al. (see appendix)
· Communication and relationship Management
· Professionalism and self-management
· Environmental engagement
· Management skills and knowledge
Nomination Package Requirements:
Nominations may be submitted by any member of Dalhousie’s Faculty or by residents and must be accompanied by a letter of support by the Department Chair. The electronic submission must include the following documents as well as a completed checklist. Please mark each box with a check and submit it electronically with the 5 required documents in PDF. All candidates will be assessed by the committee.
· All nomination packages must be submitted electronically as attached PDF files with
· The nomination cover letter should be addressed to Dr. Babar Haroon, Associate
Dean Postgraduate Medical Education and must reference the award category.
· Two letters of reference are also to be included, one of which must be from a
resident. Samples of work/course outlines, etc. may also be included.
· Curriculum Vitae (abbreviated CVs will be accepted)
· Teaching dossier, including details of course and methodologies for improving
effectiveness of teaching or other, as appropriate.
· Evaluation Records for teaching for the past 5 years (Summary only - not all the
· A previous winner may be nominated for an award again 5 years after receipt of the
Please download and complete the electronic checklist prior to submitting the nomination package. * Electronic checklist
The deadline date for e-submission of the nomination package to Tara Ryan is May 5, 2023.
Late nominations will not be considered.
The nominations will be reviewed and ranked by the Faculty of Medicine Awards Committee. The nominating chairs and winners will be notified by the end of May.
If you have any questions, please contact Tara Ryan at (902) 706-3943 or email at email@example.com