News» Go to news main
Dr. Siân Iles interviewed on CBC's Information Morning
Dr. Siân Iles was recently interviewed on CBC's Information Morning in a discussion regarding breast screening for those with dense breasts. An exerpt follows. Read the full story and listen to the interview at CBC.ca
"Advocates want more cancer screening for those in N.S. with dense breasts.
[...] But Dr. Siân Iles, a medical advisor for the Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program, said there simply isn't enough evidence yet to support additional screening.
Iles said breast density is a relatively new consideration in a person's overall health.
MRIs available for high-risk patients
She said there are expert opinions, but as of yet, there is no organized population-based breast screening program anywhere in the world that recommends supplemental screening for people with dense breasts.
"It could be beneficial, but we need evidence when we're going to talk about a population-based publicly funded screening tests," said Iles.
"We need good peer reviewed evidence and the reviews of the evidence so far have not come out saying you need to provide supplemental ultrasound screening."
She also noted that Nova Scotia is one of only two provinces that has a high-risk screening program. Patients who are over the age of 30 and have a greater than 25 per cent risk of breast cancer can access mammography and MRI screening.
"Breast density is one of the risk factors that's incorporated into that risk estimate, so having dense breasts, it's very important to know your other risk factors and if you do meet that 25 per cent risk, then you are eligible for a screening program," said Iles. [...]"
- Program Administrator Award of Excellence
- Dr. Siân Iles interviewed on CBC's Information Morning
- Dr. Steven Beyea and Dr. Adela Cora featured in the latest Beyond Research podcast from ResearchNS
- Dr. Andreu Costa recognized as a CARJ 2023 Outstanding Reviewer!
- Department Faculty awarded EJNMMI Physics Best Paper 2023
- Dr. Hodgson wins world entrepreneurship contest
- Congratulations to the 2023 David Fraser Radiology Research Foundation Summer Studentship recipients!
- Congratulations, Dr. Brewer! The Charles Lo Prize in Radiology Research
comments powered by Disqus