Obtaining a Work Permit for New Trainees

To train and work in the Maritimes [the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island] you must apply for a Work Permit. Start the process now. Your Work Permit may take 3 to 6 months to obtain.

Work Permit Application for Canada

In your application process you must include a "To Whom It May Concern" letter verifying your new training as well as an "LMIA Exemption Form and Payment".  These will be provided by contacting: charlesh@dal.ca

The Work Permit document can only be obtained at a Port of Entry to Canada, i.e. the Canadian border. 

Upon Port of Entry, when landing on Canadian soil, ensure that a Work Permit is issued before you enter through the gates of Canada. When going through Customs, Border Services will print a Work Permit document.

If you have family accompanying you through the border, please ensure that a visitor record be issued for each member. This will allow you and your family to receive health insurance during your time in Canada.

As of 1 September 2010, you no longer need a Labour Market Opinion number. Please disregard any mention of this in the application process.

Ensure your passport is up to date.  If your passport expires during your residency your Work Permit will expire at the same time or earlier.