Helping you breathe easier
In the Division of Respirology, we work with children with a variety of breathing related problems. Our efforts include clinical activities conducted out of our respiratory clinic, and educational opportunities for students, residents and patient families.
Through our respiratory clinic, we provide consultation, and continuing care services, for patients with:
- cystic fibrosis
- bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- primary ciliary dyskinesia
- neuromuscular disease
- complex respiratory issues
- other respiratory disorders
We also coordinate home oxygen services for the IWK Health Centre.
Our cystic fibrosis clinic cares for approximately 105 Maritime children while also providing New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island with travelling clinics.
Care and education are provided by a multidisciplinary health care team consisting of two respirologists, two nurses, two physiotherapists, a dietitian, a social worker, an administrative assistant and a volunteer.
The Cystic Fibrosis Newborn Screening Program for Nova Scotia and New Brunswick started in April 2014.
Education is also an important part of our clinical care. We have a respiratory clinic nurse coordinator who provides asthma education services to the patients and families who are referred to us. Respiratory clinic staff provide evidence-based teaching for the skills needed to manage respiratory conditions at home including airway clearance techniques, using asthma devices and action plans.
The Division of Respirology, which is located in the IWK Centre’s Respiratory Clinic, is actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching at Dalhousie University. We also offer elective opportunities for students at Dalhousie University and other universities. Medical, nursing, physiotherapy, dietician, social worker, dentistry and pharmacy students often attend our clinics.
We place considerable emphasis on the importance of clinical research in pediatric respiratory conditions.
- Dan Hughes, MD, FRCPC
- Dimas Mateos-Corral, MD
- Paula Barrett, CF Clinic nurse coordinator
- Margaret Surette, Newborn Screening nurse coordinator
- Martha Greechan, Respiratory Clinic nurse coordinator
- Sheri Rose, dietitian
- Kimbly MacFadyen, physiotherapist
- Shanna Thompson, inpatient physiotherapist
- Michele Brake, social worker
- Kelly Purcell, division administrative assistant
- Kathy Cottreau, CF Clinic administrative assistant
- Donna MacNeil, receptionist/booking clerk
- Susan Kerslake, CF Clinic volunteer
IWK Health Centre
1st floor, Children's site
5850/5980 University Avenue
PO Box 9700
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8