Tackling cancer and hematologic disorders
By providing close-to-home clinical care, groundbreaking research and educational programs, Dalhousie’s Division of Hematology/Oncology is able to help children with:
- bleeding disorders
- thrombotic disorders
- vascular malformations
- blood disorders
Together with members of the IWK’s Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Service, our clinicians collaborate with community health professionals to provide children with health care that’s as close to home as possible.
We offer a multi-disciplinary inpatient and ambulatory care unit that provides each child and their family with a family-care coordinator. This nurse coordinator makes it easier for families to get the answers they need, and to connect with the tertiary care centre and the home community health centre.
We use a Level of Care system that matches each phase of the child’s care to available resources in each care site to ensure that the child receives the best care possible.
Our faculty members participate in a wide range of educational activities by:
- attending weekly patient management rounds
- supporting the Tumor Board [PDF - 107 KB]
- teaching other health professionals
- acting as mentors and supervisors for elective students from a variety of backgrounds
- participating in Case-Oriented Problem-Simulated (COPS) teaching, clinical clerk teaching and resident seminars
- presenting at various Grand Rounds (pediatric, adult hematology, medical oncology)
- contributing to national and international educational sessions and conferences at Dalhousie
We also participate in outreach teaching with other health centers within the Maritime provinces through the Atlantic Provinces Pediatric Hematology Oncology Network (APPHON).
We collaborate our research efforts with the IWK Health Centre, which is a full member of the Children's Oncology Group—(an international clinical trials group with more than 200 member institutions from around the world). At any one time, we have more than 60 research trials open.
The IWK’s Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Service is actively participating in a number of national and international clinical research groups working to improve health outcomes for children and adolescents with hematologic or oncologic disorders.
- Dr. Mark Bernstein, MD, FRCPC (Post-Retired)
- Dr. Jason Berman, MD, FRCPC
- Dr. Bruce Crooks, MB, ChB, MRCPC(UK), MRCPCH
- Dr. Craig Erker, MD, FRCPC
- Dr. Conrad Fernandez, MD, FRCPC
- Dr. Victoria Price, MBChB, FRCP(C)
- Dr. Ketan Kulkarni, MBBS, MD
Division of Hematology/Oncology
Department of Pediatrics
IWK Health Centre
5850/5980 University Avenue
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8