Helping children cope with their neurological disorders
The Division of Neurology of the Department of Pediatrics is dedicated to supporting children with a variety of nervous system and muscle disorders. We do this by offering a combination of clinical and teaching activities and research.
The Division of Pediatric Neurology has a longstanding commitment to the care of Atlantic Canadian children with neurological disorders like:
- epilepsy (seizures)
- muscle and nerve diseases
- cerebral palsy
- Tourette syndrome
- movement disorders
- complex neurologically-based learning and attention disorders
- other neurological conditions of childhood
We see our patients through the IWK Health Centre and in a number of outreach clinics scattered throughout the Maritimes. We also provide around-the-clock emergency services in consultation with our patients' other physicians.
In the Division of Neurology, our members are actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, continuing medical education and public education.
In addition to hosting Canadian and international elective students and residents, we also offer fellowship opportunities and a Royal College-accredited resident training program.
Our residency training program is small and flexible enough that we’re able to provide an experience that complements the background and career goals of every candidate. Our aim is to give our residents the skills to function as pediatric consultants within an academic practice.
We place a considerable amount of emphasis on the importance clinical research in pediatric neurological disorders. A few of our research methodological strengths include:
- analysis of national databases
- Internet-based research
- Paula Brna, MD, FRCPC (Division Head)
- Rashid Alshahoumi, MD, FRCPC
- Kevin Gordon, MD, MSc, FRCPC (Post-retired)
- Richard Huntsman, MD, FRCPC
- Jordan Sheriko, MD, FRCPC (Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine Services)
- Ellen Wood, MD, MSc, FRCPC (Post-retired)
Division of Pediatric Neurology
IWK Health Centre
5850/5980 University Avenue
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8