Patient Care FAQs

Your questions answered

How do I get to see a psychiatrist?

You have to go to your family doctor and be referred to a psychiatrist.

If you feel that this is an emergency, go your nearest emergency room immediately or call Emergency Psychiatric Services at 902-473-2043.

Can I visit or contact a patient on the 6th or 7th floor of the Abbie J. Lane?

You may call the main switchboard at 902-473-2700 and ask to be connected to the requested ward.

How do I become a psychiatrist?

To become a psychiatrist, you need to complete four years of medical school training.  Medical schools have various admission requirements, including the completion of an undergraduate degree. Check the various medical schools in Canada for admission requirements.

After an undergraduate degree and completion of four years of medical school, you then need to complete a five-year residency program in psychiatry. Many psychiatrists then take a one or two year fellowship program to specialize in a particular area of psychiatry; for example, geriatric psychiatry or forensic psychiatry.

How can I apply for a psychiatry residency? 

You must apply directly through: 

Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS) 
151 Slayter Street, Suite 802 
Ottawa, ON  K1P 5H3 
Tel: 1-800-465-4584
Fax: 613-563-2860

Please refer to CaRMS for more detailed information regarding deadlines, etc.