IWK Health Centre
5850/5980 University Ave.
PO Box 9700
Halifax , NS B3K 6R8
- Anxiety disorders
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Early interventions
- Mental health education
- School mental health
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Dr. Bagnell is currently the Interim Chief, IWK Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
BSc (McGill University)
MA (Oxford University)
MD (Dalhousie University)
Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry Residency (Harvard University)
Dr. Alexa Bagnell is a clinician researcher and a founder of the Treatment of Anxiety Group (2005) and the OCD Clinic (2013) at the IWK Health Centre. Her research interests are in promoting earlier intervention for mental health disorders, with a focus on schools and web-based programs.
Papers (peer reviewed)
- Bagnell A. and Santor D. Building Mental Health Literacy: Opportunities and Resources for Clinicians. In: Bostic JQ & Bagnell A. ed. Evidence-Based School Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics, 2012; 21:1-9.
- McGrath P, Lingley-Pottie P, Thurston C, MacLean C, Cunningham C, Waschbusch D, Watters C, Stewart S, Bagnell A, Santor D, Chaplin W. Telephone-Based Mental Health Interventions for Child Disruptive Behavior or Anxiety Disorders: Randomized Trials and Overall Analysis, Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2011; 50: 1162-1172.
- Bagnell, A. Anxiety/Separation Disorders, Pediatrics in Review, 2011; 32: 440-446.
- Bradley, K., Bagnell, A., & Brannen, C. Factorial Validity of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression 10 in Adolescents. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 2010; 31: 408-412.
- Zinck, S., Bagnell, A., Bond, K., & Newton, A.S. The Cochrane Library and the Treatment of Major Depression in Children and Youth: An Overview of Reviews. Evid.-Based Child Health, December 2009, 1336-1350.
Awards and Honours
- 2013 Naomi Rae Grant Award, Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- 2012 IWK Auxiliary Award Winner (highest score in IWK research grants 2011)
- 2010 Alex Gillis Award for Clinical Excellence, IWK Health Centre
- 2006 IWK Certificate of Appreciation for Treatment of Anxiety Group Program Initiative
- 2004 Rising Star Researcher Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist
- 2003-present Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- 2001-present American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Program Director, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Subspecialty Residency, Dalhousie University (2013-present)
- Clinical Rotation/Elective Supervisor- Anxiety/OCD and community mental health (2003-present)
- Neuroscience Med 2 Curriculum, Anxiety Disorders (2008-present)
Service & Activity
- “Bell Let’s Talk Day”, Mental Health Awareness, Regional Expert, 2012-present.
- RBC Child and Youth Mental Health, Regional Expert. 2010-present.
- Physician Co-Chair, Breakthroughs in Care Capital Campaign, IWK Foundation Physician Campaign, 2012. The Garron Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, a major component of this campaign, opened in May 2014.
- Workshops and education sessions for schools (students, staff, parents) promoting mental health literacy and help seeking, 2003-present.
- Board member, Strongest Families Institute, not-for-profit, evidence-based distance outreach mental health programs for children and families. 2011-present.