IWK Health Centre
5850/5980 University Ave.
PO Box 9700
Halifax , NS B3K 6R8
- Anxiety disorders
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Early interventions
- Mental health education
- School mental health
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Dr. Bagnell is currently the Chief of Psychiatry at the IWK Health Centre, as well as professor and head of the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Dalhousie University.
BSc (McGill University)
MA (Oxford University)
MD (Dalhousie University)
Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry Residency (Harvard University)
Dr. Bagnell is a clinician researcher and a founder of the Treatment of Anxiety Group (2005) and the OCD Clinic (2013) at the IWK Health Centre. Her research interests are in promoting earlier intervention for mental health disorders, with a focus on schools and web-based programs with the goal of improving health outcomes in youth.
- Clark S, Emberly D, Pajer K, Delong E, McWilliam S, Bagnell A, Abidi S, Casey B, Gardner W. Improving Access to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Care: The Choice and the Partnership Approach. J Can Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2018 Jan;27(1):5-14.
- Newton M, Wozney L, Bagnell A, Fitzpatrick E, Curtis S, Jabbour M, Johnson D, Rosychuk R, Young M, Ohinmaa A, Joyce A, McGrath P. Increasing access to mental health care with Breathe, an internet-based program for anxious adolescents: study protocol for a randomized controlled pilot trial. JMIR Research Protocol, 2016 Jan: 5(1): e18.
- MacKenzie L, Abidi S, Fisher H, Propper L, Bagnell A, Morash-Conway J, Glover J, Cumby J, Hajek, T, Schultze-Lutter F, Pajer K, Alda M, Uher R. Stimulant medication and psychotic symptoms in offspring of parents with mental illness. Pediatrics; 2016: 137(1), 1-10.
- Kutcher S, Bagnell A, Wei Y. Mental Health Literacy in Secondary Schools: A Canadian Approach. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2015; 24; 233-244.
- Bennett K, Manassis K, Duda S, Bagnell A, Bernstein GA, Garland EJ, Miller LD, Newton A, Thabane L, Wilansky P. Preventing child and adolescent anxiety disorders: overview of systematic reviews. Depression and anxiety. 2015: 32(12), 909-18. [Review - Published] PubMed ID: 26282454.
Selected Awards and Honours
- 2016 William Grigor Award, Doctors NS
- 2015 Young Alumnus Award, Dalhousie Medical Alumni Association
- 2013 Naomi Rae Grant Award, Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- 2012 IWK Auxiliary Award Winner (highest score in IWK research grants 2011)
- 2010 Alex Gillis Award for Clinical Excellence, IWK Health Centre
- 2019 - present Canadian Medical Association
- 2003 - present Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- 2001 - present American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Clinical Rotation/Elective Supervisor – OCD/Anxiety (2003 – present)
- Neuroscience Med 2 Curriculum, Anxiety Disorders (2008-present)
Service & Activity
- Brigadoon Medical Advisory Committee 2017 - present
- Bell Let’s Talk Day, Regional Expert, 2011 – present
- Workshops and education sessions for schools (students, staff, parents) promoting mental health literacy and help seeking, 2003-present