Room 7517, AJLB.
5909 Veterans' Memorial Lane
Halifax, NS B3H 2E2
- Collaborative mental health care
- Community pharmacy
BSc Pharmacy (University of Toronto)
MSc Community Health and Epidemiology (Dalhousie University)
PharmD (University of British Columbia)
Professor Gardner is interested in improving the care and health of people living with mental illness. His research focuses on improving the safe and effective use of psychiatric medications, providing improved physical health care to people with mental illness, and increasing the capacity of care in the community. He is working with community pharmacy to support people in their communities to achieve good health outcomes and a high quality of life. His research ranges from pharmacoepidemiological studies to program implementation and evaluation.
- Murphy, A.L., Ataya, R., Himmelman, D., O’Reilly, C.L., Rosen, A., Slavador-Carulla, L. Martin-Misener, R., Burge, F., Kutcher, S., Gardner, D.M. Community pharmacists’ experiences and people at risk of suicide in Canada and Australia: a thematic analysis. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol (2018). First online June 23, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-018-1553-7.
- Murphy AL, Gardner DM, Jacobs LM. Patient care activities by community pharmacists in a capitation funding model mental health and addictions program. BMC Psychiatry. 2018 Jun 14;18(1):192. doi: 10.1186/s12888-018-1746-3.
- Gardner DM, Abidi S, Ursuliak Z, Morrison J, Teehan M, Tibbo P. Incidence of oculogyric crisis and long-term outcomes with second-generation antipsychotics in a first-episode psychosis program. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2015 Dec;35(6):715-8.
- Gardner DM, Teehan M. Antipsychotics and their Side Effects. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. 2011.
- Gardner DM, Murphy AL, O’Donnell H, Centorrino F, Baldessarini RJ. International consensus study of antipsychotic dosing. Am J Psychiatry 2010: 167 (6): 686-693.
Selected awards and honours
- National recipient. CAMH Difference Maker. 150 Leading Canadians for Mental Health. Centre for Addictions and Mental Health Foundation. Toronto, On. November 2017.
- Dr. Jessie I. MacKnight Award for Teaching Excellence in Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Dalhousie University. Received: 1999, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2014.
- Canadian Pharmacist of the Year Award. Canadian Pharmacists Association. CPhA National Conference, Whistler, BC. Received: June, 2012.
- AFPC National Award for Excellence in Education, Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada. Received: 2009.
- Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University. Received: 2004.