Faculty of Medicine
F200 Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building
5850 University Avenue
Halifax, NS B3H 1X5
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Gene expression
- Animal model
BSc (Dalhousie University)
PhD (Dalhousie University)
PDF (University of British Columbia)
Dr. George S. Robertson's primary research interest is finding ways to block the injurious events responsible for neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease. He is developing both small molecule (drug)- and gene therapy-based approaches to protect the brain from damage by improving mitochondrial performance.
- Novorolsky, R.J., Nichols, M., Kim, J.S., Pavlov, E.V., Woods, J.J., Wilson, J.J., and Robertson, G.S. (2020) The cell-permeable mitochondrial calcium uniporter inhibitor Ru265 preserves cortical neuron respiration after lethal oxygen glucose deprivation and reduces hypoxic/ischemic brain injury. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 40(6): 1172-11811.
- Nichols, M., Pavlov, E.V. and Robertson, G.S. (2018) Tamoxifen-induced knockdown of the mitochondrial calcium uniporter in Thy1-expressing neurons protects mice from hypoxic/ischemic brain injury. Cell Death and Disease 9(6): 606.
- Nichols, M., Elustondo, P.A., Warford, J., Thirumaran, A., Pavlov, E.V. and Robertson, G.S. (2017) Global ablation of the mitochondrial calcium uniporter increases glycolysis in cortical neurons subjected to energetic stressors. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 37(8): 3027-3041.
- Wang J., Menchenton T., Yin S., Yu Z., Bance M., Morris D.P., Moore C.S., Korneluk R.G. and Robertson G.S. (2010) Over-expression of X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein shows presbycusis in C57BL/6J mice. Neurobiology of Aging 31(7): 1238-1249.
- Xu D.G., Crocker S.J., Doucet J.-P., St- Jean M., Hakim A.M., Ikeda J.-E., Thompson C., Liston P., Korneluk R.G., MacKenzie A. and Robertson G.S. (1997) Elevation of neuronal expression of NAIP reduces ischemic damage in the hippocampus. Nature Medicine 3: 997-1004.
Selected awards and honours
- 2016 Canadian College of Neuropsychopharmacology Innovations Award (Co-recipient $4,500)
- 2011 Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University
- 2002-2007 CIHR-Rx&D Research Chair
- 1996 Canadian College of Neuropsychopharmacology Young Investigator Award ($4,500)
- 1989-1992 Medical Research Council Fellowship
- Professor, Dalhousie University 2002-present
- Director, Department of Pharmacology, Merck-Frosst 1998-2002
- Associate Professor, University of Ottawa 1996-2002
- Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa 1992-1996