Room 4064, AJLB
5909 Veterans' Memorial Lane
Halifax, NS B3H 2E2
- First episode psychosis
- Substance abuse
- Neurodegenerative diseases
BSc (1989; University of New Brunswick)
MSc (1992; University of British Columbia)
PhD (1997; University of British Columbia)
PDF (2000; Dalhousie University )
MEd (2017; Acadia University)
Dr. Good's research focuses on the sense of smell in psychiatric and neurological disorders, and in particular how olfactory deficits may inform on outcome in these disorders. As well, her lab has been investigating the link between substance misuse and psychotic disorders. Her interest is in examining the role of motivation and expectancy on craving in smokers and non-smokers with and without schizophrenia. Using FMRI, she is examining the neural changes that occur when subjects are presented with smoking-related visual images.
- Good, K.P., Sullivan, R.L. (2015) Olfactory function in psychotic disorders: Insights from neuroimaging studies. World Journal of Psychiatry. 5(2), 2015.
- Bernier, D., Bartha, R., MacAllindon, D., Hanstock, C.C., Marchand, Y., Dillen, K.N.H., Gallant, M., Good, K.P., Tibbo, P.G. (2016). Illness vs. substance use effects on frontal white matter in early phase schizophrenia: a 4T 1H-MRS study. Schizophrenia Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2016.04.022
- Good, K.P., Tourbier, I.A., Moberg, P.,Cuzzocreo, J.L., Geckle, R.J., Yousem, D.M., Pham, D.L, &. Doty, R.L. (2017). Unilateral olfactory sensitivity in multiple sclerosis. Physiology and Behaviour, 168, 24-30.
- Joshi, M., Rolheiser, T.M., Fisk, J.D., McKelvey, J.R., Schoffer, K., Philips, G., Khan, M.N., Leslie, R.A., Rusak, B., Robertson, HA., Good, K.P. (2017). Lateralized microstructural changes in early-stage Parkinson’s Disease in anterior olfactory structures, but not in the substantia nigra. Journal of Neurology, 264(7):1497-1505. doi: 10.1007/s00415-017-8555-3.
Selected awards and honours
- 1994 Young Scientist Award, Seventh Biennial European Workshop in Schizophrenia
- 1998 National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression Young Investigator Award
- 2002 Dalhousie Medical School Clinical Research Scholar
- Med II Neuroscience Unit Tutor
- PGY-2 Research Teaching Series/ Ethics and other Reviews
- PSYO/NESC 3170 Hormones and Behaviour
- PSYO/NESC 3227 Principles of Human Neuropsychology
- PSYO/NESC 3770 Behavioral Neuroscience
- PSYR 6001 Core Perspectives on Psychiatric Disorders
Service & Activity
- Co-Chair Capital Health Research Fund
- Member Department of Psychiatry Research Committee
- Chair Department of Psychiatry Research Committee Grants Subcommittee
- Member Department of Psychiatry Promotion and Tenure Committee