2DS – Sleep Lab
400 University Avenue
PO Box 2100
Saint John, NB
- Mood disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Restless leg syndrome
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Professor of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University
- Medical Director, Atlantic Sleep Centre, Saint John Regional Hospital
- Director of Research, Department of Psychiatry, Saint John Regional Hospital
MD: Dalhousie University
FRCPC Residency in Psychiatry, Dalhousie University
FAASM: Fellowship in Sleep Disorders Medicine, University of California, San Diego
Dr. Morehouse’s research interests relate to the impact of sleep disorders on a wide ranging number of medical fields. The multi-disciplinary collaborative nature of diagnostic investigative tools and treatment methods to improve patients’ health outcomes are of particular interest.
- Morehouse R, Macqueen G, Kennedy SH: Barriers to achieving treatment goals: a focus on sleep disturbance and sexual dysfunction. J Affect Disord; 2011 Aug;132 Suppl 1:S14-20 . PMID: 21575992.
- Morehouse RL, Kusumakar V, Kutcher SP, LeBlanc J, Armitage R: “Temporal Coherence in Ultradian Sleep EEG Rhythms in a Never-Depressed, High-Risk Cohort of Female Adolescents”. Biological Psychiatry, 2002, Volume 51, pp 446-456.
- Murray G, Michalak EE, Levitt AJ, Levitan RD, Enns MW, Morehouse RL & Lam RW 2005, “O sweet spot where art thou? Light treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder and the circadian time of sleep”. Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 90, no. 2-3, pp. 227-31.
- Lam RW, Levitt AJ, Levitan RD, Enns MW, Morehouse RL, Michalak EE, Tam EM. “The CAN-SAD Study: A Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effectiveness of Light Therapy and Fluoxetine in Patients with Winter Seasonal Affective Disorder”. (2006) American Journal of Psychiatry, 163: 805-812.
- Broughton RJ, Fleming JAE, George CFP, Hill JD, Kryger MH, Moldofsky H, Montplaisir JY, Morehouse RL, Moscovitch A, Murphy WF: “Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over trial of modafinil in the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness in narcolepsy”. Neurology, 49:444-451, 1997.
- Bawden HN, Salisbury S, Eskes G, Morehouse RL. “Neuropsychological functioning following craniopharyngioma removal”. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2009, 31(1), pp. 140-144.
Selected awards and honours
- DFCPA (Distinguished Fellow, Canadian Psychiatric Association)
- Canadian Psychiatric Association - Board of Directors, Membership Affairs Committee, Professional Standards and Practice Committee
- Canadian Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, Founding Member
- America Sleep Disorders Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- New Brunswick Psychiatric Association
- Canadian Sleep Society
- Canadian Society of Physician Executives
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Undergraduates: Tutor for Professional Competencies Unit, Psychiatry Patient Contact
- Postgraduates: Sleep Medicine and Consultation/Liaison Psychiatry
- C.M.E.: Sleep and Sleep Disorders for Family Physicians and Psychiatrists
Service & Activity
- Academic/Clinical Department Head, Department of Psychiatry, Zone 2 Horizon Health Network 2002 – 2014
- Medical Director, Atlantic Sleep Centre 1999 –
- Board Member: MindCare Foundation 2005 – 2011
- Board Member: Cherry Brook Zoo 2004 - 2008