5850/5980 University Ave.
PO Box 9700
Halifax , NS B3K 6R8
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Social behaviour
- Treatment outcome
Undergraduate degree, Psychology, Basel University
Master's degree, Psychology, Basel University
PhD, Human Sciences, Heidelberg University
Dr. Meier’s research focuses on leveraging modern technology to improve mental health care in youth. With her team she has developed an app that passively gathers information on patients’ behaviours using their smartphones. Thereby she aims to identify youth at risk early on and provide them with the help they needed. She is also interested in risk factors(genetics) and long-term outcomes of anxiety disorders.
- Meier, S. M., Trontti, K., Purves, K. L., Als, T. D., Grove, J., Laine, M., Pedersen, M. G., Bybjerg-Grauholm, J., Bækved-Hansen, M., Sokolowska, E., Mortensen, P. B., Hougaard, D. M., Werge, T., Nordentoft, M., Breen, G., Børglum, A. D., Eley. *Hovatta, I., *Mattheisen, M. & * Mors, O. Genome-wide association study of anxiety and stress- related disorders in the iPSYCH cohort. JAMA Psychiatry, doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2019.1119.
- Meier, S. M., Pavlova, B., Dalsgaard, S., Nordentoft, M., Mors, O., Mortensen, P.B., & Uher, R. (2018). Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and anxiety disorders as precursors of bipolar disorder onset in adulthood. Br J Psychiatry. 213, 555-560.
- Meier, S. M., Uher, R., Mors, O., Dalsgaard, S., Munk-Olsen, T., Laursen, T. M., Mattheisen, M., Nordentoft, M., Mortensen. P. B. & Pavlova B. (2016). Specific anxiety disorders and subsequent risk for bipolar disorder: a nationwide study. World Psychiatry. 15, 187-8.
- Meier, S. M., Mattheisen, M., Mors, O., Schendel, D. E., Mortensen, P. B. & Plessen, K. J. (2016). Mortality among persons with obsessive-compulsive disorder in Denmark. JAMA Psychiatry. 73, 268-74.
- Meier, S. M., Petersen, L., Mattheisen, M., Mors, O., Mortensen, P. B. & Laursen, T. M. (2015). Secondary depression in severe anxiety disorders: a population-based cohort study in Denmark. Lancet Psychiatry. 2, 515-23.
Selected Awards and honours
- PhD Award, Faculty of Medicine, Heidelberg University
- PhD Award, Romius Foundation, Novartis AG
- PhD Award, German Society for Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics
- Young Researcher Award, World Association of Stress-related and Anxiety Disorders
- Canada Research Chair, Canada Research Chair in Developmental Psychopathology and Youth Mental Health
- International Society of Psychiatric Genetics
- German Society for Biological Psychiatry
- Psychiatric Epidemiology
- Behavioural Psychiatry
- Psychiatric Genetics