Life Sciences Centre
1355 Oxford Street
Halifax, NS B3H 4J1
- Anxiety disorders
- Treatment matching
- Problem gambling
- Alcohol abuse
- Substance use motives
- Alcohol Research Lab
- Twitter: @DrSHStewart
- Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sherry_Stewart
Ph.D. - Clinical Psychology, McGill University
B.Sc. - Honours degree in Psychology; Minor in Biology, Dalhousie University
Dr. Stewart studies the role of psychological factors (e.g., personality, motives) in contributing to addictive behaviors including alcohol use, prescription drug misuse, and excessive gambling. She also investigates mechanisms underlying comorbid mental health and addictive disorders. She has conducted several trials of novel approaches for treating and preventing co-occurring mental illness and addictions.
- Stewart, M.A., Davis MacNevin, P.L., Hodgins, D. C., Barrett, S. P., Swansburg, J., & Stewart, S. H. (2016). Motivation-matched approach to the treatment of problem gambling: A case series pilot study. Journal of Gambling Issues, 33, 124-147.
- Stewart, S. H., Grant, V. V., Mackie, C. J., & Conrod, P. J. (2016). Comorbidity of anxiety and depression with substance use disorders. In K. J. Sher (Ed), The Oxford Handbook of Substance Use Disorders, Volume2. (pp. 149-186). New York, Oxford University Press.
- Olthuis, J. V., Stewart, S. H., MacKinnon, S., & Watt, M. C. (2014). Telephone-delivered CBT for high anxiety sensitivity: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82, 1005-1022.
- Stewart, S. H., & Zack, M. (2008). Development and psychometric evaluation of a three-dimensional Gambling Motives Questionnaire. Addiction, 103, 1110-1117.
- Stewart, S. H., & Conrod, P. J. (Eds.). (2008). Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders: The Vicious Cycle of Comorbidity. New York, NY: Springer.
Selected awards and honours
- November 2014 Canadian Progress Club 25th Progress Women of Excellence Award Recipient (Education and Research Category)
- November 2014 Winner of the Professional of Distinction Award, 2014 Discovery Awards for Science and Technology.
- June 2011 Canadian Psychological Association, elected Fellow
- 2005-2010 Killam Research Professor, Faculty of Science, Dalhousie University
- September 2007 Canadian Academy of Health Sciences, elected Fellow
- Research Society on Marijuana (RSMj), Charter Member
- American Psychological Association (APA) – current member
- Association of Psychologists of Nova Scotia (APNS) – current member
- Association for Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) – current member
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) – current member
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) – current member
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS) – current member
- Nova Scotia Board of Examiners in Psychology (NSBEP) – current registrant (#R0291)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA) – current member
- SSHRC Doctoral Awards Competition, Selection Committee Member, 2016 & 2017
- Undergraduate Medical Education - MED 2 Neurosciences
- Dalhousie University - Graduate Course in Adult Assessment
- Dalhousie University - Graduate Course in Psychopathology: Lifespan
- Dalhousie University- Graduate course: Multidisciplinary Course in Addictions Studies
- Dalhousie University - created and taught Undergraduate Course in Experimental Methods in Clinical Psychology
- Dalhousie University - undergraduate course in Abnormal Behavior
Service & Activity
- Co-Director of Research in Psychiatry Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, 2016-2017
- Comprehensive Subcommittee Member (Co-Chair), Clinical Program Committee, Department of Psychology, Dalhousie University, 2015-present
- Alcohol Issues Panel, Beer Canada, Committee Member, 2014-present
- Editorial Board Member of Psychology of Addictive Behaviors (2014-present), Frontiers in Psychology (2013-present), Cognitive Therapy and Research (2012-present), and Journal of Behavioral Addictions (2012-present)
- MSc in Psychiatry Research, Program development committee (Co-Chair), Current Program Director, Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, 2012-present
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Gambling Issues, 2010-present
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) Member, 2009-present
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC), 2009-present
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, Issues of Substance (IOS) Conference, Planning Committee Member, 2007-present
- Associate Editor, Current Drug Abuse Reviews, 2006-present
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Psychosocial, Sociocultural & Behavioural Determinants of Health Committee, CIHR Peer Review Committee for Grant Applications, 2013-2014