Life Sciences Centre
1355 Oxford Street
Halifax, NS B3H 4J1
- Anxiety disorders
- Treatment matching
- Problem gambling
- Alcohol abuse
- Substance use motives
- Alcohol Research Lab
- Twitter: @DrSHStewart
- Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sherry_Stewart
Ph.D. - Clinical Psychology, McGill University
B.Sc. - Honours degree in Psychology; Minor in Biology, Dalhousie University
Dr. Stewart studies the role of psychological factors (e.g., personality, motives) in contributing to addictive behaviors including alcohol use, prescription drug misuse, and excessive gambling. She also investigates mechanisms underlying comorbid mental health and addictive disorders. She has conducted several trials of novel approaches for treating and preventing co-occurring mental illness and addictions.
- Stewart, M.A., Davis MacNevin, P.L., Hodgins, D. C., Barrett, S. P., Swansburg, J., & Stewart, S. H. (2016). Motivation-matched approach to the treatment of problem gambling: A case series pilot study. Journal of Gambling Issues, 33, 124-147.
- Stewart, S. H., Grant, V. V., Mackie, C. J., & Conrod, P. J. (2016). Comorbidity of anxiety and depression with substance use disorders. In K. J. Sher (Ed), The Oxford Handbook of Substance Use Disorders, Volume2. (pp. 149-186). New York, Oxford University Press.
- Olthuis, J. V., Stewart, S. H., MacKinnon, S., & Watt, M. C. (2014). Telephone-delivered CBT for high anxiety sensitivity: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82, 1005-1022.
- Stewart, S. H., & Zack, M. (2008). Development and psychometric evaluation of a three-dimensional Gambling Motives Questionnaire. Addiction, 103, 1110-1117.
- Stewart, S. H., & Conrod, P. J. (Eds.). (2008). Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders: The Vicious Cycle of Comorbidity. New York, NY: Springer.
Selected awards and honours
- September 2018 - The Royal Society of Canada (RSC), Elected Fellow
- June, 2017 - 2017 Award for Excellence in Graduate Supervision, Dalhousie University
- June 2011- Canadian Psychological Association, elected Fellow
- 2005-2010 - Killam Research Professor, Faculty of Science, Dalhousie University
- September 2007 - Canadian Academy of Health Sciences, elected Fellow
- Research Society on Marijuana (RSMj), Charter Member
- American Psychological Association (APA) – current member
- Association of Psychologists of Nova Scotia (APNS) – current member
- Association for Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) – current member
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) – current member
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) – current member
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS) – current member
- Nova Scotia Board of Examiners in Psychology (NSBEP) – current registrant (#R0291)
- Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA) – current member
- SSHRC Doctoral Awards Competition, Selection Committee Member, 2016 & 2017
- Undergraduate Medical Education - MED 2 Neurosciences
- Dalhousie University - Graduate Course in Adult Assessment
- Dalhousie University - Graduate Course in Psychopathology: Lifespan
- Dalhousie University- Graduate course: Multidisciplinary Course in Addictions Studies
- Dalhousie University - created and taught Undergraduate Course in Experimental Methods in Clinical Psychology
- Dalhousie University - undergraduate course in Abnormal Behavior
Service & Activity
- 2018-present Associate Scientist Maritime SPOR Support Unit (MSSU)
- 2016-2023 Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Addictions and Mental Health, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Co-Director of Research in Psychiatry Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, 2016-2017
- Comprehensive Subcommittee Member (Co-Chair), Clinical Program Committee, Department of Psychology, Dalhousie University, 2015-present
- Editorial Board Member of Psychology of Addictive Behaviors (2014-present), Frontiers in Psychology (2013-present), Cognitive Therapy and Research (2012-present), and Journal of Behavioral Addictions (2012-present)
- 2016-present Graduate Program Coordinator of MSc in Psychiatry Research program, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Gambling Issues, 2010-2019.
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) Member, 2009-present
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, Issues of Substance (IOS) Conference, Planning Committee Member, 2007-present
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Psychosocial, Sociocultural & Behavioural Determinants of Health Committee, CIHR Peer Review Committee for Grant Applications, 2013-2014