5850/5980 University Ave.
PO Box 9700
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- School mental health literacy
- Adolescent brain
- Knowledge translation
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Primary care
- Early onset depression
- Stress response
BA - McMaster University (Hon) History & Political Theory
MA - McMaster University History
MD – McMaster University Medical School
Resident in Psychiatry – University of Toronto – Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Dr. Stan Kutcher is the Sun Life Financial Chair in Adolescent Mental Health and former director World Health Organization Collaborating Centre in Mental Health Policy and Training at Dalhousie University and IWK Health Centre in Canada. He is a renowned expert in adolescent mental health and leader in mental health research, advocacy, training, and policy and has been involved in mental health work in over 20 countries.
- Kutcher, S., McLuckie, A. Evergreen: Creating a Child and Youth Mental Health Framework for Canada. Psychiatric Services. 2013 May; 64(5), 479-482.
- Kutcher, S., Wei, Y., Gilberds, H., Brown, A., Ubuguyu, O., Njau, T., Sabuni, N., Magimba, A., & Perkins, K. (2016). A School Mental Health Literacy Curriculum Resource Training Approach: Effects on Tanzanian Teachers’ Mental Health Knowledge, Stigma and Help-seeking Efficacy. International Journal of Mental Health Systems, 10:50.
- Kutcher, S., Wei, Y., Gilberds, G., Brown, A., Ubuguyu, O., Njau, T., Sabuni, N., Magimba, A., & Perkins, K. (2016). Community Health Care Providers Knowledge and Self-confidence in the Identification, Diagnosis and Treatment of Adolescent Depression in Tanzania. Arch Depress Anxiety, 2 (1), 26-30.
- Ravindran, A.V., Herrera, A., da Silva, T.L., Henderson, J., Castrillo, M.E., & Kutcher, S. (2018). Evaluating the benefits of a youth mental health curriculum for students in Nicaragua: a parallel-group, controlled pilot investigation. Global Mental Health, 5(4): 1-12.
- McLuckie, A., Kutcher, S., Wei, Y., & Weaver, C. (2014). Sustained Improvements in Students’ and Teachers’ Mental Health Literacy with use of a Mental Health Curriculum in Canadian Schools. BMC Psychiatry, 14 (379).
Selected awards and honours
- Naomi Rae-Grant Award, Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2018)
- Champion of Mental Health, Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health (2018)
- 2016 Nova Scotia Champion of Public Education, The Learning Partnership
- 2014 Order of Nova Scotia
- Distinguished Fellow Canadian Psychiatric Association
Dr. Kutcher has played an active teaching role with psychiatry residents over the years. He has also taught classes at other universities on Mental Health.
Dr. Kutcher provides training for educators and health care professionals to improve the mental health care of youth and adolescents.
Service & Activity
- Board Member of the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
- Board Member of Spryfield Boys and Girls Club
- Committee co-chair - The Sandbox Project
- Member of Board of Directors of Royal College Canada International