Room 3094, AJLB
5909 Veterans' Memorial Lane
Halifax, NS B3H 2E2
- Affective disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Brain imaging
- Family high-risk studies
- Magnetic resonance spectrocsopy (MRS)
MD, 1rd School of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
PhD in Neuroscience, 3rd School of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Dr. Hajek's research focuses on studying clinical variables associated with brain changes in bipolar disorders, including genetic risk, treatment with Li, illness burden (numbers of episodes, duration of illness) and most recently diabetes/prediabetes. He is also interested in clinical evolution of bipolar disorders.
- Hajek T, Bauer M, Pfennig A, Cullis J, Ploch J, O`Donovan C, Bohner G, Klingebiel R, Young LT, MacQueen G, Alda M. Large Positive Effect of Lithium on Prefrontal Cortex N-Acetyl Aspartate in Bipolar Patients – Two Centre Study. Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, 2012, 37(3):185-192.
- Hajek T, Calkin C, Blagdon R, Slaney C, Alda M. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Potentially Modifiable Risk Factor for Neurochemical Brain Changes in Bipolar Disorders. Biological Psychiatry, 2013, in press
- Hajek T, Cullis J, Novak T, Kopecek M, Blagdon R, Propper L, Stopkova P, Duffy A, Hoschl C, Uher R, Paus T, Young LT, Alda M. Brain structural signature of familial predisposition for bipolar disorder: replicable evidence for involvement of the right inferior frontal gyrus. Biological Psychiatry, 2013, 73(2):144-152
- Hajek T, Bauer M, Simhandl C, Rybakowski J, O'Donovan C, Pfennig A, Konig B, Suwalska A, Yucel K, Uher R, Young LT, Macqueen G, Alda M. Neuroprotective effect of lithium on hippocampal volumes in bipolar disorder independent of long-term treatment response. Psychol Med. 2014, 44(3):507-17.
- Hajek T, Calkin C, Blagdon R, Slaney C, Uher R, Alda M. Insulin Resistance, Diabetes Mellitus, and Brain Structure in Bipolar Disorders. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2014, in press.
Selected awards and honours
- Dalhousie Clinical Research Scholar
- Hlavka´s Prize for the best students and young researchers at Czech universities