For Medical Residents
Develop your skills in global health
International educational experiences can greatly enhance clinical training and enrich residents’ career development. The Global Health Office can help facilitate these experiences for all residents. In addition, a number of departments have strong global health units:
- Department of Anesthesia, Pain Management & Perioperative Medicine
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Surgery
All residents should follow the PGME guidelines on international education, found here: PGME guidelines on international education.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, international travel for electives is on hold. Please contact us, or see here for virtual opportunities.
Global health options for you
Benefit from the many global health opportunities available to you:
Research in global health
Residents can learn about global health through collaborative research with institutions in developing countries. Residents may work with investigators conducting research overseas, giving them the chance to learn about basic science and clinical research methods, specific global health topics and research ethics.
Time's often a limiting factor for residents. Often it's easier for a resident to do part of an established project themselves, under the supervision of a faculty research mentor. Find out which faculty are currently involved in global health research.
Special training programs
Canadian programs with a global health concentration
- Simon Fraser University: Master of Public Health
- University of Alberta: Master of Public Health
- University of Toronto: Master of Public Health
- McMaster University: Master of Science in Global Health
- Canadian Paediatric Society: Global Child Health Curriculum
- London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
- London School of Economics
- Gorgas Courses in Clinical Tropical Medicine
- American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Oxford School of Public Health
Resources for residents
Global Health Awards
We also have the Dr. Jock Murray Award for Resident Leadership in Global Health that is presented annually in the spring.
Past recipients of the Dr. TJ Jock Murray Resident Award for Leadership in Global Health include:
For more information on global health education opportunities for medical residents please contact email@example.com.