Global Health News» Go to news main
Global Health Post‑2020
Date: November 5, 2020
Times: Halifax: 6:30 pm (AST)
Toronto/Ottawa: 5:30pm (EST)
Manila: 6:30am, November 6 (PHT)
Yaoundé: 11:30pm (WAT).
Throughout 2020, issues related to health equity have been brought to the foreground. While Global Health as a discipline has long been concerned with the social determinants of health and health inequities, it is also criticized for reproducing inequitable relations through neo-colonial practices. Major events of 2020 (including the global COVID-19 pandemic; global anti-racism movements; record wildfire season) present an opportunity to think differently about Global Health and move toward more equitable health futures.
We’ve asked four experts in Global Health for their thoughts on moving towards global health equity.
- Dr. Renzo Guinto (PH Lab) will speak about decolonizing Global Health;
- Dr. Lisa Forman (University of Toronto) will speak about will speak about global health equity in the time of COVID-19 and Trump.
- Dr. Yipeng Ge (University of Ottawa) will speak about the challenges and opportunities this moment presents for those undergoing medical training;
- Dr. Yap Boum (Epicenter Africa, the research arm of Médecins sans Frontières and University of Yaoundé): will speak about creating more equitable international partnerships and translating theory into action.
- Moderator: Shawna O’Hearn, Dalhousie Global Health Office
To Register for this event please use EventBrite
- Global Health Post‑2020
- 6th Khon Kaen University’s International Challenge on Emergency Medicine and Related Basic Science 2020 (KKU ICEM)
- Spark: A Discussion Group on Equity in Medicine Presents: The Urgency of Intersectionality
- CH&E Seminar Series: COVID‑19 and Public Health Policy in the USA: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Spark: A Discussion Group on Equity in Medicine Presents Dr. Sarita Verma
- Spark: A Discussion Group on Equity in Academic Medicine
- Short‑Documentary Screening: Period. End of Sentence
- Primary Health Care Research Day