Global Health News» Go to news main
Black Excellence in STEM and Health Research Symposium
Date: March 27, 2021 @ 1-4PM
Celebrating Black scholarship and innovation in the fields of STEM and Health: Laying our claim to research & academia!
Imhotep’s Legacy Academy, in association with PLANS (Promoting Leadership in health for African Nova Scotians), Canadian Black Scientist Network, and the Delmore “Buddy” Daye Learning Institute (DBDLI) present the Black Excellence in STEM and Health Research Symposium (BESH). The 2021 event will bring together STEM academics, research students, and secondary students from across Nova Scotia and Canada to:
- Discuss the contributions of Black scientists to STEM and health,
- Expose secondary students to Black STEM and health professionals and offer unique opportunities to deepen their understanding of science and health concepts and innovations,
- To highlight research being done in STEM and health by Black scholars and develop solutions to address barriers to entry in these fields.
This symposium seeks to positively contribute to the educational and career development of African Canadians in STEM and health.
Dr. Maydianne Andrade
Dr. Andrade's work incorporates laboratory and field studies to examine mechanisms of sexual selection, and fitness effects of phenotypic and life history traits that affect mating success.
- Dr. Dzevela Kong, Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Dr. Philip Asare, Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering
- Dr. Andre Fenton, Professor Center for Neural Science
We are inviting faculty at post-secondary institutions, students, community organizations and the public to join us again this year, on March 27, 2021. The symposium will be held online via Microsoft Teams.
Register on EventBrite
For more information contact: PLANS@dal.ca
- How to Prepare for the MCAT
- IHIM Virtual Sharing Circle
- Global Health Journal Club: For Planetary Health (and Earth Day)
- The Service Learning Program Invites You To The Final Presentations & Year End Celebration
- SPARK: A Discussion Group on Equity in Medicine ‑ Guest Speaker Dr. Chadwick Williams
- Student Blog Writing Competition
- Black Excellence in STEM and Health Research Symposium
- Global Health Journal Club: International Women's Day