Miramichi Teaching Site
The city of Miramichi is located in Northern New Brunswick with a population of approximately 19,000. The villages of Baie Ste.-Anne, Blackville, Neguac, Rogersville along with the City of Miramichi and surrounding areas, however, combine to create the service area of the hospital, which serves a population of approximately 50,000.
- Built in 1996 with 160-bed capacity and staff of 70 physicians, many of whom are actively involved in teaching with the LICD program.
- Encompasses 6 peripheral and community-based health clinics including community mental health and addiction services.
- Offers an Extra–Mural hospital program which provides comprehensive in-home health care services.
- Has an Emergency Department staffed 24 hours/day and supported by 16 specialties
- Participates in an ongoing program with our local First Nations community as well as many other community organizations.
What is the learning experience like?
The Miramichi clinical site accommodates all levels of learners for electives and core rotations – from first-year medical students to fifth-year residents. This includes Dalhousie students who are participating in the Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship Dalhousie (LICD) program.
This site offers you a supportive and friendly learning environment focused on continuity in all areas – the learner, learning environment, preceptors, and curriculum.
As a LICD student in Miramichi, you'll receive a combination of video-conferenced lectures with clinical experience that may have supplementary lectures by local physicians depending upon the department. Prior to your arrival, you'll receive a manual about your clerkship at the hospital as well as manuals for the hospital itself and your core rotations upon your arrival.
What can I learn here?
Miramichi is able to offer students a broad based experience in:
- Surgery - General, Urology, Orthopedic, Ophpthalmology
- Internal Medicine - Critical Care Unit (Intensive Care Unit), Cardiology, Urology, Ophthalmology, Respiratory, General Internal Medicine, Palliative Care, Geriatric
- Family Medicine
A Leader in NB Health
Miramichi is a leader in the area of Population Health with the “Mango Program” and was the site for New Brunswick’s first comprehensive Methadone clinic. It is also the site of Atlantic Canada’s initial Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship program.
The DMNB medical education unit is located on the third floor.
- 2 Dalhousie network–linked video conference suites
- 2 on-call rooms.
- Student lounge with 5 computer work stations
- Locker room
- Administrative offices
- Library and associated services
Who can help me?
Dr. Paula Keating
LICD Clerkship Director
Student & Resident Affairs Representative
To contact the medical education office at the Miramichi Regional Hospital, please call 506-623-3341