Waterville Teaching Site
Upper River Valley Hospital
The Upper River Valley Hospital (URVH) is located mid-west of New Brunswick, along the border of Maine, USA and one hour north of Fredericton. Specializing in a range of acute, in-patient, out-patient, and community services and clinics, URVH services an area of mainly small towns from Grand Falls to Nackawic with a cumulative population of approximately 45,000.
- Built in 2007 with 70-bed capacity and a staff of 36 physicians, many of whom are actively involved in teaching with the LICD program
- Has residents in the obstetrics and emergency departments
- Offers an Extra–Mural hospital program, which provides comprehensive in-home health care services
- Has an Emergency Department supported by 7 specialties
- Participates in an ongoing program with our local First Nations community as well as many community organizations
What is the learning experience like?
The Waterville clinical site typically only has Dalhousie students who are participating in the Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship Dalhousie (LICD) program. This provides you with a very small, intimate learning environment that is focused on continuity in all areas – the learner, learning environment, the preceptors and the curriculum.
You'll receive a combination of video-conferenced lectures with clinical experience that may have supplementary lectures by local physicians depending upon the department. You will receive a manual about your clerkship at the hospital prior to your arrival. Additionally, you will receive manuals for the hospital itself and your core rotations.
What can I learn here?
Miramichi is able to offer students a broad based experience in:
- General surgery
- General internal medicine with a focus on non-interventional cardiology, general urology, ENT (ears, nose, throat), ophthalmology, family medicine, care of the elderly, palliative care
- Family medicine
Located on the River
The main industries in the area revolve around potatoes. Farmers grow them, McCain makes them into French Fries, and the Covered Bridge Chip Factory across the road from the hospital makes them into chips. But they're best enjoyed at the chip bar - hot off the conveyor. Come find out for yourself!
The DMNB medical education unit is located in the Dr. F. S. Goodine Medical Education Centre on the first floor.
- 2 Dalhousie network–linked video conference suites
- 6 on-call rooms
- Student lounge
- Study room with 2 computer work stations
- Library and associated services
Who can help me?
Dr. Rudy Stocek
LICD Cerkship Director
Email: c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Brandon Kelly
Student & Resident Affairs Representative