Head, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Division of Hematology-Oncology
Room K7124, 7th Floor
IWK Health Centre
PO Box 9700
5850-5980 University Ave.
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- Head, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- Senior Scientist, Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute
- Pediatric Hematologist/Oncologist
- IWK Health Centre, Dalhousie University
- Cross-appointed to: Bioethics, Postgraduate Studies, Medicine
- Wilms tumor
- Research ethics
- Return of genomic results
- Hon BSc – Genetics (University of Western Ontario 1982)
- MD(McMaster University 1985)
- FRCPC Pediatrics (Dalhousie University 1993)
- Specialist Certificate Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (University of British Columbia 1996)
Dr. Fernandez chair of the international Children’s Oncology Group Renal Tumors Steering Committee and conducts clinical trials in childhood kidney cancer. He also has an active research program in returning research results to participants.
- J Ehrlich PF, Chi YY, Chintagumpala MM, Hoffer FA, Perlman EJ, Kalapurakal JA, Tornwall B, Warwick A, Shamberger RC, Khanna G, Hamilton TE, Gow KW, Paulino AC, Gratias EJ, Mullen EA, Geller JI, Grundy PE, Fernandez CV, and Dome JS. Results of Treatment for Patients with Multi-centric, or Bilaterally-Predisposed Unilateral Wilms Tumor (AREN0534): A report from the Children’s Oncology Group. Accepted to Cancer.
- Daw NC, Chi YY, Kalapurakal JA, Hoffer FA, Geller JI, Perlman EJ, Ehrlich PF, Mullen EA, Warwick AB, Grundy PE, Gratias E, Ward D, Anderson JR, Fernandez CV, Dome JS on behalf of the AREN0321 Study Committee. Activity of vincristine and irinotecan in diffuse anaplastic Wilms tumor and therapy outcomes of stage II-IV disease: Results of the Children’s Oncology Group AREN0321 study. J Clin Oncol. 2020 Mar 5:JCO1901265. doi: 10.1200/JCO.19.01265. [Epub ahead of print]PMID:32134700.
- Parsons LN, Mullen EA, Geller J, Chi YY, Khanna G, Glick RD, Vallance KL, Kim Y, Fernandez CV, Dome JS, Perlman EJ. Outcome Analysis of Stage 1 Epithelial Predominant Favorable Histology Wilms tumors. A report from the Children’s Oncology Group Study AREN03B2. Cancer. 2020 Apr 8. doi: 10.1002/cncr.32855. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 32267967.
- Lauhasurayotin S, Cuvelier J, Klaassen RJ, Fernandez CV, Pastore YD, Abish S, Wu JK, Steele M, Jardine L, Breakey VR, Brossard J, Sinha R, Silva M, Goodyear L, Lipton JH, Michon B, Belletrutti MJ, Sung L, Stephen SW, Shabanova I,Li H, Zlateska B, Dhanraj S, Cada M, Dror Y. Re-analysis of next generation sequencing gene panel data by normalized coverage values unravel CNVs in bone marrow failure syndromes. NPJ Genom Med. 2019 Dec 9;4:30. doi: 10.1038/s41525-019-0104-9. eCollection 2019. PMID:31839986.
- Walz AL, Fernandez CV, Geller JI. Novel Therapy for Pediatric and Adolescent Kidney Cancer. Cancer and Metastases Reviews. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-019-09822-4.
- Dix DB, Fernandez CV* (co first author), Chi YY, Anderson J, Mullen EA, Geller JI, Gratias EJ, Khanna G, Kalapurakal JA, Perlman EJ, Seibel NL, Ehrlich PF, Malogolowkin M, Gastier-Foster J, Shamberger RC, Kim Y, Grundy PE, Dome JS. On behalf of the AREN0532 and AREN0533 study committees. Augmentation of therapy for favorable histology Wilms Tumor with combined loss of heterozygosity of chromosomes 1p and 16q: A report from the Children’s Oncology Group Studies AREN0532 and AREN0533. J Clin Oncol. 2019 Oct 20;37(30):2769-2777. doi: 10.1200/JCO.18.01972. Epub 2019 Aug 26. PMID:31449468.
- Children’s Oncology Group
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology (SIOP)
- 2019: Cell Line Advisory Subcommittee. Panel for Research Ethics. Secretariat for Responsible Conduct of Research. TriCouncil Policy of Canada. Member.
- 2019: PROFYLE Data Access Committee. Member.
- 2019: PROFYLE Publication Committee. Chair.
- 2019: Voting Body Steering Committee. Children’s Oncology Group. Vice Chair.
- 2019: Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute. Research Committee. Chair.
- 2018: Department of Pediatrics. Division Heads Council. Chairperson
Service & Activity
- 2018 - Responsible Conduct of Research Investigative Committee. IWK Health Center Research Ethics. Member.
- 2018 - Gender Equity and FMC. Member.
- 2018 - Voting Body Steering Committee. Children’s Oncology Group. Member.
- 2017 - CIHR. College of reviewers. Member.
- 2017 - Panel on Research Ethics. Secretariat on Responsible Conduct of Research. TriCouncil Policy of Canada. Member.
- 2016 - Program of Care for Cancer (Nova Scotia). Quality Improvement and Safety Council Committee. Member.
- 2016 - Renal Tumor Steering Committee, Children's Oncology Group, Chair.
- 2016 - Atlantic Provinces Pediatric Hematology Oncology Network. Board and Research Committee member.
- 2015 - 2018 Panel on Research Ethics. TCPS 2 revisions. Subcommittee on Incidental Findings. Member.
- 2015 - PROFYLE. Terry Fox Research Foundation national project on genome sequencing. Ethics Node lead.