Head, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
PO Box 9700
5850 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3K 6R8
- Head, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- Senior Scientist, Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute
- Pediatric Hematologist/Oncologist
- IWK Health Centre, Dalhousie University
- Cross-appointed to: Bioethics, Postgraduate Studies, Medicine
- Pediatric research ethics
- Return of results
- Wilms tumor
- Hon BSc – Genetics (University of Western Ontario 1982)
- MD(McMaster University 1985)
- FRCPC Pediatrics (Dalhousie University 1993)
- Certificate Subspecialty Pediatric Hematology Oncology (University of British Columbia 1996)
Professor Fernandez’s research interests are in two fields. The first is in clinical trials in Wilms tumor (a pediatric kidney cancer). To this end he is chair of the Children’s Oncology Group Renal Tumors Committee. The second is in research ethics in particular the return of summary and incidental findings to research participants, particularly as they pertain to genomic research. He leads the Ethics Node of the Terry Fox funded PROFYLE project, sequencing high risk pediatric cancer patients across Canada.
- Friedman JM, Bombard Y, Cornel M, Fernandez CV, Junker AK, Plon SE, Stark Z, and Knoppers BM for the Paediatric Task Team of the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health Regulatory and Ethics Works team. Genome-wide Sequencing in Acutely-Ill Infants: Genome Medicine’s Critical Applicaiton? Genetics in Medicine. 2018 Jun 12. doi: 10.1038/s41436-018-0055-z. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:29895853.
- Wolf SM, Scholtes E, Koenig BA, Petersen GM, Berry SA, Beskow LM, Daly MB, Fernandez CV, Green RC, LeRoy BS, Lindor NM, O’Rourke PP, Radecki Breitkopf C, Rothstein MA, Van Ness B, and Wilfond BS. Pragmatic Tools for Sharing Genomic Research Results with the Relatives of Living and Deceased Research Participants. J Law Med Ethics. 2018 Mar;46(1):87-109. doi: 10.1177/1073110518766024. Epub 2018 Mar 27. PMID: 30008546
- Bettle A, Latimer M, Fernandez CV, Hughes J. Supporting Parents Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) Pain Care involvement: A Qualitative Interpretive Description. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2018 Jan/Feb;35(1):43-55. doi: 10.1177/1043454217727518. Epub 2017 Aug 29. PMID:28849687.
- V Rahimzadeh, C Schickhardt, BM Knoppers, K Sénécal, DF Vears, CV Fernandez, S Pfister, S Plon, EW Clayton, S Terry, J Williams, MS Williams, M Cornel, JM Friedman. Key Implications of Data Sharing in Pediatric Genomics: Points to Consider for KIDS. JAMA Pediatrics. 2018 May 1;172(5):476-481. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.5500. PMID: 29554172
- Elzinga KE, Khan OF, Tang AR, Fernandez CV, Elzinga C, Heng DYC, Vickers MM, Truong T, Tang PA. Adult Patient Perspectives on Clinical Trial Result Reporting: A survey of cancer patients. Clin Trials. 2016 Dec;13(6):574-581.Aug 23. pii: 1740774516665597. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 27559022
- Knoppers BM, Sénécal K, Boisjoli J, Borry P, Cornel M, Fernandez CV, Grewal J, Holm IA, Nelson E, Pinxten W, Shabani M, Tassé AM, Zawati M, Clayton EW on behalf of the P3G International Paediatric Research Platform. Attaining Majority in Biomedical Research: Re-contact for Consent? IRB: Ethics & Human Research. IRB vol. 39, no. 6 November - December 2016.
- Unguru Y, Fernandez CV, Bernhardt B, Berg S, Pyke-Grimm K, Woodman C, Joffe S. An Ethical Framework for Allocating Scarce Life-saving Chemotherapy and Supportive Care Drugs for Childhood Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Jan 29;108(6). pii: djv392. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djv392. Print 2016 Jun. PMID: 26825103
- Sénécal K, Rahimzadeh V, Knoppers BM, Fernandez CV, Avard D, Sinnett D. Statement of Principles on the Return of Research Results and Incidental Findings in Paediatric Research: A Multi-site Consultative Process. Genome. 2015 Dec;58(12):541-8. doi: 10.1139/gen-2015-0092. Epub 2015 Nov 10.PMID:26613133.
- Canadian Pediatric Society
- Children’s Oncology Group
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
Service & Activity
- 2018 - Responsible Conduct of Research Investigative Committee. IWK Health Center Research Ethics. Member.
- 2018 - Gender Equity and FMC. Member.
- 2018 - Voting Body Steering Committee. Children’s Oncology Group. Member.
- 2017 - CIHR. College of reviewers. Member.
- 2017 - Panel on Research Ethics. Secretariat on Responsible Conduct of Research. TriCouncil Policy of Canada. Member.
- 2016 - Program of Care for Cancer (Nova Scotia). Quality Improvement and Safety Council Committee. Member.
- 2016 - Renal Tumor Steering Committee, Children's Oncology Group, Chair.
- 2016 - Atlantic Provinces Pediatric Hematology Oncology Network. Board and Research Committee member.
- 2015 - 2018 Panel on Research Ethics. TCPS 2 revisions. Subcommittee on Incidental Findings. Member.
- 2015 - PROFYLE. Terry Fox Research Foundation national project on genome sequencing. Ethics Node lead.