Head and Associate Professor
Department of Bioethics, Faculty of Medicine
CRC Building, 5849 University Ave.
PO Box 15000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
- Head and Associate Professor, Department of Bioethics, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- Adjunct Professor, Australian Centre for Health Law Research, Faculty of Law, Queensland University of Technology
- Past-President, Canadian Bioethics Society
- Rural health ethics - New book Rethinking Rural Health Care (read the Chronicle Herald article here)
- Paediatric ethics
- Role of hope in health care
- Professional boundaries
- Organizational ethics
- Ethics Collaborations
- Canadian Association of Practicing Healthcare Ethicists - Association canadienne des éthiciens en soins de santé (CAPHE-ACESS)
- PDF (UofAlberta)
- PhD (Dalhousie)
- MA (McMaster)
- BA&Sci (McMaster)
Christy’s research focuses on ethics issues arising in health care, at the clinical, organizational, and systems levels. She collaborates on research which is “rethinking” rural health ethics as well as core concepts in organizational and paediatric ethics.
- Simpson, Christy; McDonald, Fiona. Rethinking Rural Health Ethics. Springer Publishing Inc, 2017. In press.
- Simpson, Christy. Developing Autonomy and Patient Decision-making. In Paediatric Patient and Family-Centred Care: Ethical and Legal Issues; 2014; Ed. Randi Zlotnik Shaul. New York: Springer Science + Business Media, 175-184.
- Simpson, Christy. “Mapping Our Practice? Some Conceptual ‘Bumps’ for us to Consider.” HEC Forum 06/2012; 24(2):219-226; 2012
- Kirby, Jeff; Simpson, Christy. “Deliberative Engagement: An Inclusive Methodology for Exploring Professionalization.” HEC Forum 06/2012; 24(2):187-201; 2012
- McDonald Fiona; Simpson Christy. Challenges for Rural Communities in Recruiting and Retaining Physicians: A Fictional Tale Helps Examine the Issues. Canadian Family Physician 59: 915-917; 2013.
- Davison, Sara N; Simpson, Christy. “Hope and advance care planning in patients with end stage renal disease: qualitative interview study.” BMJ, DOI 10/1136/bmj.38965.626250.55 (published 21 September 2006)
- Simpson, Christy. “When hope makes us vulnerable: A discussion of patient-health care provider interactions in the context of hope.” Bioethics 18(5): 428-447; 2004