The Moncton Hospital
6 LICD positions (2015-2016)
The Moncton metropolitan area of Horizon Health Network provides services to the tri-communities of Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview, as well as south eastern New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and northern Nova Scotia. The area includes one tertiary care regional hospital, one community hospital and five health centres.
- Originally opened in 1953 with a 381 bed capacity.
- Services cover a catchment population of 192,000 people.
- Administers other fully accredited teaching programs: Dietetic Internship Program, the School of Radiologic Technology and Research and the Pharmacy Residency Program.
- The Provincial Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit is located within The Moncton Hospital.
- In 2010, the hospital opened a newly expanded Emergency Department and the Irving Ambulatory Care Centre; the $47 million, 240,000 sq. ft. extension to The Moncton Hospital features modern equipment and provides an efficient space for health professionals to work.
The DMNB medical education unit is located in the Northumberland Centre for Medical Education and Research on the main floor.
- Two Dalhousie network – linked video conference suites.
- Four call rooms with attached bathroom and shower facilities.
- Individual locker area.
- Student lounge with kitchenette, sitting area, TV and 8 computer work stations.
- Library supported by full time librarian located on the second floor of the hospital.
Hub of Atlantic Canada
Moncton is at the geographic centre of the Maritimes. It is the natural hub of road, rail and air services for Atlantic Canada. There is an abundance of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities including easy access to the warm-water beaches of the Northumberland Strait and the scenic Bay of Fundy. Moncton became the first officially bilingual city in the country in 2002. About 40 per cent of its metropolitan population is able to speak both official languages.
For more information, please contact:
DMNB Clerkship Coordinator
The Moncton Hospital