Dalhousie Medical Education Institute
"It's All About Communication"
Join us in beautiful Fox Harb'r on October 25th 2019 for the 5th annual Medical Education Institute.
About the Institute
October 25th, 2019 | 8:30am-4:30pm | Fox Harb'r, NS
Registration is free of charge for everyone, registration is required to attend
Refreshments will be provided at breaks and lunch
The Medical Education Institute (MEI) is an annual day-long faculty development that addresses current needs-based topics and current trends in medical education and curriculum. The primary focus of the MEI is to support faculty of Dalhousie Medical School in their roles as educators and academics.
The Institute is intended for:
- Clinical, basic, and health science faculty members
- Medical educators
- Health professionals
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the Continuing Professional Development Office of Dalhousie University for up to 6.0 Mainpro+ credits.
As an accredited provider, Dalhousie University, CPD, designates this continuing professional development activity for up to 6.0 credit hours as an accredited group learning Section 1 activity as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Objectives and Agenda
Objectives: By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
1. Identify key elements of effective communication skills
2. Develop strategies to demonstrate and implement these skills within teaching opportunities.
|0830||Welcome and introduction|
|0845||Keynote: Meaningful feedback conversations: It’s all about relationships
1. Redefine feedback from the learner’s perspective
2. Reflect on factors that influence learners’ perceptions of the credibility of feedback
3. Apply a relationship-centred communications model to feedback conversations
4. Practice feedback language that stimulates a growth mindset
|Visiting Scolar, Dr. Subha Ramani|
|1030||Coaching in the R2C2 model, framing lecture and workshop||Dr. Joan Sargeant|
|1130||Shared Decision Making to Improve Medical Communication
1. To become aware of the importance of shared decision making in clinical practice;
2. To recognize facilitators and barriers to implementing shared decision making;
3. To understand the role of shared decision making in improving communication with patients and their families
|Dr. Paul Hong|
|1315||Fearless: how to promote and teach psychological safety
1. Discuss psychological safety and its impact on patient care
2. Identify strategies for critical communication
3. Describe how to foster a “speaking up” culture in your program
|Dr. Eileen Bridges (CMPA)|
|1445||Breaking Bad News||Dr. Lisa Searle and Dr. Wendy Stewart|
Fox Harb'r has reserved a block of studio suite guest rooms (October 24th) for this event at the special rate of 175.00/night plus tax.
Individuals are responsible for making their own reservations, they can be made by calling Fox Harb'r Resort directly at 866-257-1801.
To ensure your attendees receive your group rate, please make sure they indicate your group affiliation and book rooms 31 days prior to arrival. Within 31 days the rate is subject to availability at the Hotel's leisure rate.
Reservations cancelled within 7 days will result in a one night room and tax fee and all reservations must be guaranteed with a major credit card. No deposit is required at the time of booking.