Awards and Recognitions
The Department of Pathology's faculty and trainees are among the finest in the world. Every so often awards and recognitions are given to individuals within the Department or to the Department as a whole.
Dr. David Conrad (R) recieves the Dr. Bruce Wright Teaching Award 2022-2023 from Dr. Bruce Wright (L).
- Dr David Conrad was announced as the recipient of the Dr. Bruce Wright Teaching Award for 2022-2023.
- On 26 September 2023, Dr. Todd Hatchette was announced as the recipient of the Dr. Lea C. Steeves Award for 2022. The Dr. Lea C. Steeves Award highlights continuing medical education teachers and is given to an individual who consistently provides an exceptionally high quality of education to their students. When announcing the award, CPDME Associate Dean Dr. Stephen Miller said that Dr Hatchette had been chosen for "his excellence in teaching" and "his demonstrated commitment to physician education".
Dr. Stephen Miller (L, Associate Dean, Continuing Professional Development & Medical Education) presents Dr. Todd Hatchette (R) with the 2022 Dr. Lea C. Steeves Award.
- Dr. Paola Marcato has been appointed Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation-Atlantic Region Endowed Chair in Breast Cancer Research. (Faculty of Medicine News)
- Dr. Graham Dellaire has been selected for the title of Distinguished Research Professor by the Office of the Vice President, Research & Innovation. The title is granted to a limited number of individual Dalhousie faculty members who have achieved distinction in scholarship, and includes a financial reward in support of the recipient's research.
- On 12 June 2023, multiple awards were given within the department of Pathology. Dr. Bassam Nassar and Dr. David Haldane both received the Departmental Lifetime Achievement Award, Dr. Karen Bedard and Dr. Tish O'Reilly received the David Janigan Teaching Award, and Dr. David Conrad received the Department of Pathology Clinical Excellence Award.
- Anatomical Pathology resident Dr. Sean Rasmussen was awarded the Killam Post-Graduate Medical Scholarship at the Resident Research Awards on 7 June 2023. The scholarship is awarded to a senior resident to support study and research at another institution, where the candidate is likely to contribute to the advancement of learning, and/or win distinction in their specialty, and/or could be recommended to appointment to the faculty of a medical school on completion of training.
Dr. David Bowes (L, Assistant Dean, Medical Education, Teaching, and Research Office) presents Dr. Sean Rasmussen (R) with the Killam Post-Graduate Medical Scholarship award.
- Dr. Manal Elnenaei and her stewardship team in the Nova Scotia Health Authority Central Zone have been recognized by Choosing Wisely Canada's Using Labs Wisely national consortium for their one year participation in "committment to improving lab utilization by implementing quality improvment projects, sharing data, and participating in learning collaboratives."
- Dr. Ashlynn Fong (PGY4, General Pathology) is the recipient of the Resident of the Month award by Maritime Resident Doctors.
- Dalhousie medical students voted Dr. Tom Arnason Professor of the Year in 2022, making him an unprecedented four-time winner of this coveted award.
- Drs. Ian Davis, Todd Hatchette, Jason LeBlanc, and Glenn Patriquin, along with Charles Heinstein, received the Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Medal for their work during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Dr. Todd Hatchette and Charles Heinstein received the Premier’s Award of Excellence 2022 for their work on the COVID-19 testing strategy team and border management response.
- Drs. Todd Hatchette, Ian Davis and Glenn Patriquin received the 2022 External Team Award of Excellence (member of the COVID Network) from the Dalhousie Department of Anesthesia, Pain Management and Perioperative Medicine.
- Dr. Ross Davidson was named 2022 Professor of the Year by the Dalhousie Medical School Class of 2025.
- Dr. Lori Beach and her colleagues in the Canadian Society of Clinical Chemistry (CSCC) Point-of-Care Testing Interest Group received the 2022 CSCC Award for Innovation in Laboratory Medicine. This award is presented to a clinical laboratory (or group) in Canada that has distinguished itself through innovation in the field of clinical chemistry, pathology or laboratory medicine.
- Dr. Robert Liwski is recipient of the 2022 Dalhousie Medical Alumni Association (DMAA) Alum of the Year for his clinical services focusing on improving care for organ and stem cell transplant patients.
- Dr. Jeanette Boudreau and Dr. Manal Elnenaei are recipients of the 2021-2022 Janigan Teaching Award.
- Dr. Jason LeBlanc is the inaugural recipient of the Department of Pathology Award for Excellence in Clinical Service. This award has been established to recognize exceptional clinical service from individuals with outstanding achievement in clinical service in the Department of Pathology.
- Dr. Noreen Walsh is the inaugural recipient of the Department of Pathology Award for Lifetime Achievement. This award has been established to recognize exceptional contributions to the Department of Pathology mission in clinical service, education, research, and administration.
Department Head Dr. Irene Sadek presents Dr. Noreen Walsh with the inaugural Award for Lifetime Achievement.
Dr. Jason LeBlanc is presented with the inaugural Award for Excellence in Clinical Service by Department Head Dr. Irene Sadek.
- Dr. Shashi Gujar has been appointed as Executive Director, Cancer Immunotherapy, Innovation and Global Partnership for Dalhousie University's Faculty of Medicine.
- Dr. Bassam Nassar is the inaugural recipient of the prestigious national Award for Outstanding Contribution to Medical Biochemistry by the Canadian Association of Medical Biochemists (CAMB).
- Dr. Todd Hatchette is recipient of the 2021 Nova Scotia Health Leadership Excellence Award for his leadership of the Medical Microbiology team during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Nova Scotia-wide Pathology and Laboratory Medicine team are recipients the Nova Scotia Health Healthcare Quality Team Award for the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly in blood collections and COVID-19 testing solutions.
- Dr. Erica Schollenberg and Dr. Ashley Stueck are recipents of the Department of Pathology's 2020-2021 David T. Janigan Teaching Award.
- Dr. Gregory Fairn was officially awarded a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in the Multiomics of Lipids and Innate Immunity.
- Dr. Anna Greenshields is the recipient of the 2021 Best Research Paper of 2019 Award from the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI). Each year's award is given to the author of a paper deemed by the ASHI to be the best published in the previous two years. Her paper, The ABCs (DRDQDPs) of the prozone effect in single antigen bead HLA antibody testing: Lessons from our highly sensitized patients, was published in Volume 80, Issue 7 of the Journal of Human Immunology.
- Dr. Allam Shawwa is the co-recipient of the 2021 Award for Leadership in Education from the Canadian Association of Pathology (CAP-ACP), in recognition of his contributions to the Hematological Pathology Program of the CAP-ACP Resident Review Course and to the CAP-ACP organization.
- Dr. Jeanette Boudreau and Dr. Shashi Gujar are two of nine recipients of Dalhousie's 2021 President's Research Excellence Award for Emerging Investigators. The award is given to those who, early in their careers, have made noteworthy contributions to Dalhousie’s research culture.