Awards and Recognitions
The Department of Pathology's faculty and trainees are among the finest in the world. Every so often awards and recognitions are given to individuals within the Department or to the Department as a whole.
- Dr. Manal Elnenaei and her stewardship team in the Nova Scotia Health Authority Central Zone have been recognized by Choosing Wisely Canada's Using Labs Wisely national consortium for their one year participation in "committment to improving lab utilization by implementing quality improvment projects, sharing data, and participating in learning collaboratives."
- Dr. Ashlynn Fong (PGY4, General Pathology) is the recipient of the Resident of the Month award by Maritime Resident Doctors.
- Dr. Robert Liwski is recipient of the 2022 Dalhousie Medical Alumni Association (DMAA) Alum of the Year.
- Dr. Jeanette Boudreau and Dr. Manal Elnenaei are recipients of the 2021-2022 Janigan Teaching Award.
- Dr. Jason LeBlanc is the inaugural recipient of the Department of Pathology Award for Excellence in Clinical Service. This award has been established to recognize exceptional clinical service from individuals with outstanding achievement in clinical service in the Department of Pathology.
- Dr. Noreen Walsh is the inaugural recipient of the Department of Pathology Award for Lifetime Achievement. This award has been established to recognize exceptional contributions to the Department of Pathology mission in clinical service, education, research, and administration.
Department Head Dr. Irene Sadek presents Dr. Noreen Walsh with the inaugural Award for Lifetime Achievement.
Dr. Jason LeBlanc is presented with the inaugural Award for Excellence in Clinical Service by Department Head Dr. Irene Sadek.
- Dr. Shashi Gujar has been appointed as Executive Director, Cancer Immunotherapy, Innovation and Global Partnership for Dalhousie University's Faculty of Medicine.
- Dr. Bassam Nassar is the inaugural recipient of the prestigious national Award for Outstanding Contribution to Medical Biochemistry by the Canadian Association of Medical Biochemists (CAMB).
- Dr. Todd Hatchette is recipient of the 2021 Nova Scotia Health Leadership Excellence Award for his leadership of the Medical Microbiology team during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Nova Scotia-wide Pathology and Laboratory Medicine team are recipients the Nova Scotia Health Healthcare Quality Team Award for the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly in blood collections and COVID-19 testing solutions.
- Dr. Erica Schollenberg and Dr. Ashley Stueck are recipents of the Department of Pathology's 2020-2021 David T. Janigan Teaching Award.
- Dr. Anna Greenshields is the recipient of the 2021 Best Research Paper of 2019 Award from the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI). Each year's award is given to the author of a paper deemed by the ASHI to be the best published in the previous two years. Her paper, The ABCs (DRDQDPs) of the prozone effect in single antigen bead HLA antibody testing: Lessons from our highly sensitized patients, was published in Volume 80, Issue 7 of the Journal of Human Immunology.
- Dr. Allam Shawwa is the co-recipient of the 2021 Award for Leadership in Education from the Canadian Association of Pathology (CAP-ACP), in recognition of his contributions to the Hematological Pathology Program of the CAP-ACP Resident Review Course and to the CAP-ACP organization.
- Dr. Jeanette Boudreau and Dr. Shashi Gujar are two of nine recipients of Dalhousie's 2021 President's Research Excellence Award for Emerging Investigators. The award is given to those who, early in their careers, have made noteworthy contributions to Dalhousie’s research culture.
- Dr. Graham Dellaire is the inaugural recipient of The 2021 Faculty of Medicine Award for Excellence in Research Mentorship of Faculty.
- Dr. Paola Marcato is the inaugural recipient of The 2021 Faculty of Medicine Award for Excellence in Research Mentorship of Trainees.